DDU Research Priority Areas
DDU is expected to contributing to the developmental needs of the country by supporting and conducting applied researches which
are demand driven, problem-solving and helpful to the expansion of knowledge. Being cognizant of Article 15 of the Higher Education
Proclamation 649/2009, the National Science and Technology Policy (ESTC, 1993), governing science and technology related endeavors
in the country, and the prevailing realities in Dire Dawa Administration; the following research priority areas have been
identified. However, these lists are not exhaustive, but they are pointers to the research priorities and research directions of
- In natural resource development and environmental protection, research needs to:
- Map out the country’s ecosystem/ecology to identify and document the diverse biological resources and to collect, store,
protect and utilize the plant and animal genetic resources.
- Design and implement appropriate land use, practical and sustainable land conservation methods.
- Mechanisms to maintain the natural forest or, in general, control deforestation and ecological imbalance.
- Discover, popularize and develop fast growing, drought resistant and multi-purpose tree species so as to rehabilitate and
develop degraded environments.
- Reduce and control air, water and soil pollution from agriculture and industrial chemicals.
- Strengthen technologies/methods that would help follow up changes in the environment and to forecast, prevent and minimize
the effects of natural disasters.
- In the area of industry, research should aim at:
- Strengthen linkages between industry and agriculture.
- Explore markets for basic goods, implements and equipment to promote small scale and rural industries.
- Develop techniques for the production of industrial raw material and other inputs.
- In the areas of water resources development, research should aim at:
- Improve the quality, quantity, conservation and utilization of ground and surface water,
- Multi-purpose water resource development for an integrated provision of water resources for agriculture, energy
transport and private use,
- Supply of reliable and clean water supply to urban and rural dwellers,
- Improve water resource identification, development and management, and
- Control of sedimentation, watershed management and use of rainwater.
- In the area of energy, research should aim at:
- Ensure the supply of sustainable and reliable energy
- Research on the development and utilization of fast growing trees and strengthen bio-mass energy development.
- Utilize of water as a source of energy
- Supply and use petroleum, natural gas, coal and geothermal.
- Search and use alternative and renewable sources of energy.
- Ensure efficient and economical use of energy in all sectors.
- Develop equipment for generation and utilization of energy.
- Develop and utilize of energy technologies suitable to the rural population.
- In the areas of construction, research should aim at:
- Produce, use and popularize appropriate and local specific construction materials, equipment and technology.
- Develop capacity for design, management, execution and follow-up in priority accord economic sectors such as water
works, dams, and irrigation; transport and communications.
- Generate and develop of technologies for a labor intensive and speedy over-all development of the construction sector.
- Improve and promote wider application of traditional construction technologies.
- In the areas of transport and communications, research should aim at:
- Utilization and repair of modern as well as alternative transport means.
- Production and application of simple telecommunication equipment.
- In the area of mineral and hydrocarbon resources, research should aim at:
- Preparation, dissemination of simple techniques and strategies that promote the exploration, study and utilization of
- Study, explore and develop minerals,
- Explore, develop and manage hydrocarbon resources
- In the areas of health and population planning, research should aim at:
- Prevention and control of communicable and parasitic diseases,
- Improve and sustain maternal and child health,
- Identify causes and solutions of urban and rural community health problems,
- Food and nutrition studies,
- Traditional medicine and health related beliefs and attitudes,
- Environmental pollution and health problems,
- Clear water supply and environmental sanitation,
- Research on the prevention of newly emerging diseases,
- Health service systems,
- Effectiveness of family planning strategies,
- Public Health, Traditional Health Systems, HIV/AIDS, Nursing, Pharmacy, Psychology, Dentistry, Youth And Well-being.
- Others may include:
- Transformation and Management: Governance, Labour, Human Rights,
- Communication; Information Management, Information and Computer Literacy,
- Technology; ICT, Biotechnology, Material Science, Applied Chemical Sciences
- Business; International Business, Economic Law
- Heritage; Ethiopian Studies, Museum And Heritage Studies, Cultural Studies
- Language; Multi-lingualism, Literary Studies, Communication And Society
- Education; Science And Mathematics Educations, Professional Educator Development, Education System Change