Community service is being recognized and organized now as one of the core activities of the University. Currently Community Engagement Directorate is established under the auspices of the Vice President for Academic, Research and Community Engagement Affairs of Dire Dawa University. The directorate undertakes the following core responsibilities
- Coordinate all community and consultancy activities of the University
- Initiate and implement policies that would enhance the provision of consultancy services to develop agencies and other national and international organizations
- In cooperation with academic departments of the University, promote consultancy services for government and other organizations or interested groups on aspects of research and technology transfer activities
- Play an active role in developing markets for consultancy services in collaboration with relevant collage and departments and other units of the University;
- Creating the necessary platforms to conduct community and consultancy services
What is community ?
The word community includes different category of the society which include individuals, family, women, youth, children, old people, nations and nationalities, service and product provider organizations, public, private, non government organizations, religious organization etc … (MOE, 2014)